
Did you know that plugs are different abroad? I didn't until very recently. I think it would be great if someone designed some sort of universal plug for every major part of the world; it would certainly make things easier.
I'm assuming we are all familiar with the American system of plugs: some have two prongs and others have three prongs. This (I think) has something to do with voltage; the three-prong plugs presumably use more volts than their two-pronged cousins. This system is also used in Canada.
However, the rest of the world uses different plug shapes. You can buy extensive kits! It's sort of exciting. To quote a plug-adapter seller,
"If you are planning to use electrical appliances in another country, you need to know which type of electrical voltage is used in that specific country and which type of plugs and outlets are using there. If the voltage is the same or you’re using a universal power supply, all you need is a plug adapter converter to change line voltage from one to another amount. Please note there are different types of adapters for the specific countries, please select the right one when you’re traveling (otherwise, the adapter will not work because this is not specific design for that country)."Furthermore, "a 120-volt electrical appliance designed for use in North America or Japan will provide a nice fireworks display - complete with sparks and smoke - if plugged into a European socket."
Up there is a bunch of illustrations showing a variety of different plug types
worldwide. (Pictures! This blog is fancy-pants) The UK uses plug style H. The internet tells me so, and the internet is always right... I have a bunch of these adapters sitting around; I hope they work and don't make things go kaboom.This whole system strikes me as vastly unproductive, or perhaps very lucrative, I'm not sure which. Either way, I think someone should get their act together and figure out a way to keep voltages pretty much equal or create some sort of consistent plug shape. I'm not saying everyone should adapt to American standards, but surely we can figure out how to consolidate electricity into one standard form. Or maybe this is why Americans are the biggest consumers of energy at all times, because we waste our resources channeling electrical currents to fuel everything...
5 comments:
Heather, I think that we have a converter set for the plugs somewhere in our house...if you wanted to borrow it I could try to find it.
Thanks but I have a bunch already... I just hope they don't destroy anything!
Woo! I'm excited to hear from you, will you be able to call us?
No, I'm afraid not. Calling me will be pretty fruitless too, as I won't have my phone with me. I'll try to pop on AIM or facebook when I can, though!
heather darling, i believe that the reason the American style plugs vary from 2 to 3 prong plugs is primarily that the third prong acts as grounding for the electricity. This is quite useful when one is trying not to get zapped because when there are only two prongs, there's a greater chance of you becoming the ground instead and electricity flowing through you to the ground (hence the name) :-D
Post a Comment